It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:24 am

Tell a friend!

Do the flaws of the new Alfa 4C leave you thinking... 

What car do you drive: Alfa 75
date: 19 Oct 2012
Post Do the flaws of the new Alfa 4C leave you thinking...
'Close, but No Cigar'? I won't go into them in exhaustive detail, but in short-form they are that it seems too-wide, rather over-priced, lacks the handling it should and could have, isnt THAT committed to being hard-core super-leggera (wheels/tyres/brakes are quite over-sized), has a cramped and slightly low-rent cabin, virtually no luggage space (that 'bonnet' in front doesn't even open), lacks an involving manual box in deference to the American market, and has the wrong engine - where's the V6, for pity's sake? Oh, and key areas of the body styling seem cribbed from other cars (the rump is rather Elise, the roofline/side window profile quite evocative of the Nissan GTR to me, which was virtually copied for the Toyota GT86/Subaru BRZ).
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't toss one over Beachy-Head in a fit of pique - it's just that I most likely wouldn't buy one, even if my budget ran to that level. I think it seems to be begging to be a toy, a track-day play-thing rather than a serious, viable daily-driver or even weekend tourer. Other cars can scratch that itch for a lot less, and with rather more practicality. The GT86 can hold your set of track wheels&tyres behind the front seats, and STILL has a boot. Five grand of Mark2 MR2 Turbo would pretty much as quick, but not the end of the world if you ran out of talent or luck, and bent it at Silverstone or Thruxton. Sure a GT86 is rather slower, but EPIC fun. A Cayman is quicker and handles better, has a little space on board, and is cheaper, with a better cabin and Porsche levels of quality dripping from every pore. That said, I'm itching to see what Alfa do next.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:47 am
Profile Send private message E-mail
Photo of the month Winner

date: 26 May 2010
Post Re: Do the flaws of the new Alfa 4C leave you thinking...
It's good for a "first attempt" at this kind of market segment. I'm sure first Lotus Elises were crap in some way as well. I'm just not sure if they will do a second iteration, if this one fails to deliver...

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:25 pm

date: 23 Feb 1989
Fail to deliver? It's sold out! For quite a while I might add

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:07 am
Site Admin

date: 04 Apr 2011
Yes , unfortunate that it doesnt really carry on alfas coupe tradition:
Of the 105 GTV / guilietta, with looks, handling and for its day, performance, lots made
Or il Monstro, with !ooks :craze: , handling & performance
or even the Brera, with looks & handling /performance potential, lots made

I hear only 5000 4C cars, all Left hand drive, so non for us in Aus, UK or Japan,
and very few for any of the rest of the planets 5.9 billion people that might be interested.
have Alfa/Fiat/Chrysler learned nothing from the collapse of the UK car industry?

Where does that leave the Alfa owner looking for their next great car?
Shopping elsewhere, sadly, like Tee-Ess mentioned; japanese or german or lotus.
Soon we'll all be driven around asleep in google controlled chinese pods, and only ourselves to blame.
Kitcar anyone?

:alfa:

Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:15 am
Presidente

date: 26 May 2010
Its very lotus... to lotus and has the wrong engine. Busso would have made a statement, as for the sold out bit.... well thats people with more money than sence, bet most have not even seen one or driven it, yet pay :o

Van old 75'er Number 3

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:04 am

date: 30 Nov 2012
Multi cylinder engines are on their way out - today's emissions tests mean you need 4 cylinder (or less) with forced induction.

I quite like the 4C - but I do think it's very over-priced - suppose that's because it's not really a mainstream production car, it's just a statement from Alfa to accompany the 8C.

I'm much more interested in the new Spider - a collaboration between Mazda and Alfa would seem to be a great solution, especially as this time Alfa have got things the right way around - they're letting Mazda do the chassis (there's no denying that Mazda have got the small RWD platform absolutely sorted) - whilst Alfa are doing styling and engines for their version.

I wouldn't be able to justify a new one - but in a few years, I'll be looking to replace my ratty old Mk1 MX5 and the Spider sounds perfect to me.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:00 am

45 grand is not at all over priced for a limited run, carbon tub'd prestige motor!

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:07 pm
Site Admin

rijmij99 wrote:
45 grand is not at all over priced for a limited run, carbon tub'd prestige motor!

My point exactly.
IMHO Alfa needs another volume, mass market style setter performance/handling coupe, like it has been producing for 50 years.
A successor to those I list above, the 101 & 105 Guilia coupes, the 2 door Sud, the Alfetta GTV, Il Monstro, the fwd GTV, & the Brera.
& There is a similar list of convertibles.

Have the company managers forgotten that in the 1960's, the company was saved by the GTV & Spider?
They probably have no idea of the history, and the company is over 100 years old.

Sheesh, they could learn from Ferrari, who make more money from Flags/Towels/Hats etc than cars.
Alfa has far more history to sell.
Now we are waiting to be saved by m@zd@, a company that stole even its name from the Zoroastrian god.
I guess they'll be suprised when the japs pull a swifty and leave Alfa holding the smelly end of the new alfa miata deal. FFS.

... - Dude, where's my 75 Turbo Evo mug ? -

:alfa:

Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:35 pm

There is NO market for these cars, the only people who buy these cars buy them from ze Germans or the odd Jtin not Italian "heritage" marques.

The Alfa we know and love has died, it died in about 1985 and we'll never see it again.

I'm sorry but it's true, we're never going to see Alfa selling the types of cars they did 30-40 years ago because they don't have the marketing budget and they're not German.

Still, we can lament the loss or enjoy the cars we have left for as long as we can, otherwise we'll end up like the BL lot and nobody here wants that

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:06 am
Site Admin

Yep, enjoying the ones we have is the way to go.
(much better now i've had my coffee) :lol:

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:45 am