It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:21 am

Tell a friend!

Belgian GP 

What car do you drive: Alfa 75
date: 30 Nov 2012
Post Belgian GP
I seem to have bagged a Ferrari hospitality ticket via my employers (as we're technical partners).

It's semi-working, as I'm hosting some of our franchisees... but it's all expenses paid and I get to meet the drivers in the Ferrari lounge. Just need to blag a pit access pass now...

Sun May 17, 2015 9:15 pm
Profile Send private message E-mail
Site Admin

date: 15 Aug 1987
Post Re: Belgian GP
:NE1:

:lol:

Sun May 17, 2015 9:32 pm

date: 23 Feb 1989
Need anyone to carry your bags?

Mon May 18, 2015 8:20 pm

So, I went, I saw, I got drunk... here's the write-up...

The weekend started with a night at the Premier Inn at King’s Cross - as we had an early Eurostar to catch first thing in the morning.

After grabbing a bite to eat and some sleep on the train, we were packed onto a couple of coaches and taken straight to the track.

I was initially disappointed, when I realised that our hospitality suite wasn’t ‘paddock side’ - but then delighted when I realised we had pretty much the prime spot on the track - the suite was at the bottom of Eau Rouge, with a decent view of the run down the hill, past the old pits - and the steep run up Radillon. You get no preparation at all for the steepness of Radillon, as TV and photos really fatten it out. (We were right next door to the Hotel Eau Rouge)

Our grandstand was the big one you see on TV, on the inside of Radillon - reserved exclusively for our guests.

I watched most of the Porsche supercup races and some of the GP2/GP3 racing from the stand - but also took advantage of the constant stream of free Belgian beer and food! Our suite was brilliant - with all the heritage decor (and girls!) - plus timing screens and big screens around the place.

After having my fill of watching the spectacle of Eau Rouge and Radillon, I took a wander - our passes gave us access to the GP2/GP3 and Porsche Supercup paddock area - one of my franchisees was delighted with this, as his son knows Jann Mardenborough, so he was able to have a chat with Jann and his parents in the paddock.

After qualifying, we all went back to the hospitality suite for the Q&A session with Vettel. He was brilliant - really interactive, humorous and well grounded. I can see why our marketing department love working with him.

Following this session, we left the track for our hotel. We must have got the worst drivers in the world, as the trip from Spa to Maastricht took 2.5 hours! After a meal and a few drinks, I rounded up a load of the sales assistants, ordered a few taxis and took them out for a night in town - we found a really strange bar where it was Christmas all year… and settled in for a few beers.

After a slightly later start the following morning, we arrived at the circuit at around 9am. Managed to grab a bit of time watching the GP3 races, then Kimi came for his Q&A session - and yes, he is just like he comes across on the TV. It was a real struggle for David Garrido to get anything out of him!

After Kimi, I checked in for my paddock tour. Sadly, due to various issues, we arrived too late to get into the pit lane and Ferrari garage - I think Ferrari were under pressure this weekend, so were in a bit of a ‘shut down’ mode in order to remain focused. To counter this, we bumped into Ant Davidson, Damon, Johnny and Eddie. Only grabbed photos, as they all appeared to be busy - there was only an hour to go before the race by this point. I did nearly trip up the Sky cameramen tracking Seb from his motorhome to the garage… I was tempted to wish him luck, but he was listening to his iPod and looked very focused on the race!

It wasn’t a classic race - but I watched the first half dozen laps from the grandstand, before retiring to the suite for nibbles and beer whilst I watched the race unfold on the big screens. With about 10 laps to go, I did wander back to the grandstand for the final laps. It was quite interesting as you could visibly see where Nico had pulled half a second or so on Lewis, but ultimately, it was too big a gap and too few laps to close it.

Getting back to the hotel was a nightmare - took us nearly an hour to get out of the car-park, then all there traffic was diverted along single-track roads! I have no idea why we couldn’t get to the motorway and I didn’t trust the coach driver - especially when we got as far east as Aachen!

Last night was the killer for me - after a few drinks and food, I was well in the zone as a host and ended up keeping the drinks flowing for far too many people for far too long! - including picking up a couple of German forecourt attendants who had been abandoned by their senior management! - we finally made it to bed at 3am… but had to be on the coach back to Brussels at 7am!

So, I finally got home at 5pm this evening, utterly shattered, having topped up my tan, and having had an amazing weekend! - Hosting can be hard work, keeping everyone from forecourt attendants to franchisees happy, fed and watered… but I’d do it again without a doubt!

The lasting memories will be the steepness of the track at Eau Rouge, and the smell and smoke from the ‘plank’ grounding out as the suspension runs out of travel.

Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:24 pm
Presidente

date: 26 May 2010
:8-): :thumb: sounds like you need a rest after that :lol:

Van old 75'er Number 3

Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:35 pm